Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Potty Mischief

One of the first lessons I learned as a mom of toddlers is that silent children are either sleeping or up to no good. That is precisely the reason I went to investigate when I finished doing the breakfast dishes and discovered that the house was eerily silent. True to form, I found Naomi in the kids' bathroom playing with toilet paper in the toilet bowl. Noah was quietly watching from a corner- knowing that Naomi was making a "bad choice" but not wanting to miss out on the action either. I must have slept well the night before, because I didn't lose my temper and the kids escaped with a mere "Don't do that again!" I cleaned up the mess and afterward went to fold laundry. Naomi tagged along, but Noah stayed in his room to play. After I finished folding the laundry I called him for Scriptures and his response back was, "HOLD ON, I'M TAPING." Taping?? Again I went to investigate and again I found a child making potty mischief- but of a different kind...



When I asked Noah what he was doing he proudly responded, "I taped the toilet shut so Naomi can't play toilet paper anymore!" Not knowing what else to say, I told him he did a wonderful job and asked him to pose for a picture.



I didn't bother to tell him that his "taping" the toilet shut might prove problematic the next time he actually needed to use the toilet.


Instead, I let him discover this on his own!!


The most amusing part of this little story is that when Noah was dancing around the toilet needing to go pee, he asked me why it wouldn't open!!


I eventually did help him get the tape off. But I thought it would be educational for him to have a go at it himself. Amazingly in the two weeks since, I've had no issues with children playing in the toilet or taping them shut.

2 comments:

  1. I love this! Good thing he didn't pee on the lid!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful story. I have a lot of potty mischief stories because of Rebekah. I'll have to share sometime!

    ReplyDelete