Monday, November 29, 2010

Do Spirits come to Earth on Rocket Ships?

The day after our Boy Baby's ultrasound, I tucked Noah into bed and took some time to explain to him that we each have a Spirit that lived with Heavenly Father before it came to Earth and into our body- which of course grew in mommy's belly. We talked about how his Spirit was the first to come, then Naomi, and now our new baby's. Noah was very quiet and attentive thoughout our discussion, and I thought I'd continue talking about Spirits and bodies, and why we need both when Noah asked, "Do Spirits come to Earth on Rocket Ships?" I paused, not really sure what the correct answer was. I had never thought to ask how our Spirits came to Earth, I just asummed they could float/ go anywhere they pleased to it wasn't too dificult to find their way into their body. But that certainly isn't church doctrine so I decided to tell him the truth: "I don't know how our Spirits come to earth, but I don't think they come on rocket ships." He seemed content with my answer and then rolled over, told me he was tired, and closed his eyes. So I gave him a kiss, told him goodnight and left. Our converstation was over as quickly as it started.

Of course I immediatly felt like our little chat was blog worthy becuase Noah's question was very cute and very Noah-like. But the more I thought about it, the more I realized how profound his little question was. It was a reminder that sleeping down the hall from me is four year old boy with the capacity to comprehend and the faith to believe that we are more than just the body that we see reflecting in the mirror. We are Spirit children of our Father in Heaven and we lived with him before our mortal life began. And if we came from Heaven, then of course we needed a mode of transportation to arrive on Earth. It's a very logical question. I think it was his capacity for logic that I found so profound! Often it's hard to see beyond the energetic, constantly moving, noisemaking, part time ninja turtle, knight, astronaut, jungle animal, car crashing, train building, sister teasing, dirt collecting exterior. But there is so much more than that exausting and often exasperating exterior to my little Noah and maybe, if I don't mess up this whole parenting thing, I'll be pleasently suprised at the young man who emerges in the years to come.

1 comment:

  1. You are doing great with this whole parenting thing! I love listening to the things that Noah says. I think it is great that you are writing this blog and I'm thankful that I have been invited to be involved with your family!

    ReplyDelete